People in the department
Dr Yau Yau Tse
Lecturer BEng, PhD
Tel: 01509 223221
Fax: 01509 223949
Y.Y. Tse obtained her PhD degree for studying the recrystallisation texture of interstitial-free steels in Hong Kong. Since then she has worked as a research fellow in the nanotechnology field and on advanced structural materials in both France (University of Poitiers) and the UK (University of Birmingham). She has worked extensively on microstructural characterisation of defects and interfaces using electron beams. She began her current appointment in 2010.
- PhD (University of Hong Kong)
- Croucher Foundation Fellowship
Current teaching responsibilities
- MPC120 – Vehicle and component design
- MPD101 – MEng group project work
- MPP244/322 – Metals processing and properties
- MPP242 – Microscopy
Outline of main research interests
- Electron microscopy of metallic and novel materials
- Texture development of bulk metallic system and thin films
- B. J. Duggan, Y. Y. Tse, G. Lam, and M. Z. Quadir, “Deformation and Recrystallisation of IF Steel”, Materials and Manufacturing Processes, vol 25, p1 (2010)
- S. R. C. McMitchell, Y. Y. Tse, H. Bouyanfif, T. J. Jackson, I. P. Jones and M. J. Lancaster, ‘Two-dimensional growth of SrTiO 3 thin films on (001) MgO substrates using pulsed laser deposition and reflection high energy electron diffraction’ Applied Physics Letters, vol. 95, p174102 (2009).
- Y. Y. Tse, P.M. Suherman, T.J. Jackson and I. P. Jones, ‘Effect of growth defects on microwave properties in epitaxial Ba 0.5Sr 0.5TiO 3 thin films on (001) MgO grown by pulsed laser deposition’, Philosophical Magazine, vol. 88, p 2505 (2008).
- Y. Y. Tse, S. McMitchell, T. J. Jackson, Y. H. Liu and I. P. Jones, ‘Growth and microstructural studies of strontium titanate films grown by standard and interval pulsed laser deposition’, Ferroelectrics, vol. 368, p49 (2008).
- C. Nageswaran, C. Carpentier and Y. Y. Tse, “Microstructural quantification, modelling and array ultrasonics to improve the inspection of austenitic welds” Insight - Journal of the British Institute of NDT, vol. 51, no. 12, p1 (2009).
- P.M. Suherman, Y.Y. Tse, T.J. Jackson, H. Bouyanfif, M. El Marssi, J.A. Hriljac, I.P. Jones, M.J. Lancaster, “Comparison of Structural, Microstructural, and Electrical Analysis of Barium Strontium Titanate Thin Films”, Journal of Applied Physics, vol. 105 , p. 061604 (2009).
- University of Birmingham
- University of Turku
External roles and appointments
- Committee Member of Royal Microscopical Society (Electron Microscopy Section).
- Committee Member of Midland Microanalysis Users Group.
- Member of Institute of Physics
- Member of Materials Research Society
Full list of publicationsLoughborough CIS Portal: Publications list