World renowned research
Loughborough University has produced research that matters from its earliest days - work that has a major impact on academic disciplines, public policy, the professions, business and industry.
Now an internationally acclaimed centre of research excellence, Loughborough plays a leading role in the development of new knowledge and understanding across all its fields of activity.
Loughborough University is world renowned for the high calibre of research it produces. The campus is home to more than 40 research institutes and centres, and over 100 research groups.
Testament to the quality of research carried out at the University is the award of seven Queen’s Anniversary Prizes. These were presented to Loughborough for:
- In recognition of the University's impact through research and skills development in High Value Manufacturing to create economic growth (2013)
- Collaboration with aerospace and automotive companies such as BAE Systems, Ford and Rolls Royce (1994)
- Work in developing countries (1998)
- Pioneering research in optical engineering (2000)
- World-leading role in sports research, education and development (2002)
- Outstanding work in evaluating and helping to develop social policy-related programmes (2005)
- Vehicle, road and driver safety research (2007)
The most recent Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) confirmed Loughborough’s position as one of the country’s Top 20 research universities.
Every department was found to be undertaking research that is internationally recognised, with 18% of the research conducted by 10 schools and departments considered to be world-leading.
Rated Number One
Two of our schools and departments: the Design School and the School of Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences, were rated number one in the country by The Guardian and the Times Higher Education.
The Times Higher Education also named Loughborough as one of three rising stars among research-intensive universities.